Thursday, March 20, 2014

Upcycled headboard

Our labor of love. My husband and I worked together to made our first upcycled piece of furniture, using 2 pieces of furniture we had laying around to make this beautiful new piece of furniture for our youngest daughter’s graduation present from medical school. We think it turned out beautiful and are happy to show you how we did it and hopefully inspire you to turn something used into a beautiful new upcycled piece of furniture. 

 Headboard base painted and showing how it will look attached to the bottom piece that had a drawer and shelves added. Ready to begin decorating the piece :-)
I used broken mirror for the top to add the beauty of mosaic and sparkle. It's the crow in me. I'm Bohemian and can't help but love the sparkle.   
Laying out the pieces of mirror
Loving the look
 Reminded me of a giraffe
Finished and grouted
Below is tissue paper I hand painted and hanging to dry.
Tissue paper is now ready to begin applying to the piece.
I used a glue sealer decoupage to apply the tissue paper
 Tissue paper applied 
Appling the tissue paper to the bottom of the piece. The center was left raw wood to apply a piece I'd made to break up the flatness and openness of the front. 
Here I dry brushed on a silver leaf to bring out the carving and give it depth
Below are two wooden cut outs I got at a craft store and distressed them, added broken mirror to tie them in and used some of the broken wooden carving that had fallen off the headboard.
Here the adornment has been applied to the top piece of the furniture
again, the larger adornment is applied to the bottom piece of furniture
Hubby installing the drawers
Appling the drawer guides. We bought glass door knobs to add to the drawers to complete its jewelry, the earrings so to speak :-)
Completed!
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment